Sunday, September 17, 2006

a dream come true - my date with panda-chan

my friends think i am crazy, even my husband is clueless, but my fascination and enthusiasm of seeing a panda in real life, is something i have always considered as one in my short list of dreams i wish to fulfill before leaving earth. and it just happened today....

my rare interest in seeing a live panda, is actually a reflection of my commitment to my ode as an environmentalist - for me, pandas, even before i realized that it is the official representative or "mascot" of the WWF, symbolize the last remaining beautiful living things on earth that near extinction. but aside from that, i just find them so cute and adorable. even without doing anything, these awesome creature have proven more effective diplomats brdiging understading and cooperation between countries.

last time i went to China in the mid '90s, i missed the opportunity of seeing a live one. probably, i had the foresight that i would be given another chance of getting some six feet away from a real and live one.

Lingling (20, male), the resident giant panda in Ueno Zoo in Tokyo, didnt disappoint me. I spent more than one hour enjoying myself, with all the kids and not so kids visitors of the zoo, just looking at him. At first he was sleeping, then woke up to relieve himself (in front of us all), chew some bamboo shoots, then slept again. At times, he appeared on meditation. his back on his fans, while, seemingly, doing his rituals.

When i went out to buy myself a stuffed panda bear, and went back to his site, he was on his active mood, walking all around his little territory. probably, mindful of all his spectators. but he wasnt the usual panda that i got to read in the internet - he wasnt lazy, sleepyhead and always hungry. this panda is a healthy buff!

in years to come, maybe, Lingling could be just one of the last pandas here on earth. but whether authorities are able to solve the dying population of this gentle and cute creature, i am glad i have had this privilege of getting this close to his kind. :>