Sunday, July 24, 2005

eigo dekiru?


Before coming to Japan, I thought there were only two kinds of jobs available for foreigners here: one, as an entertainer, and two, as a programmer. Back home, many Filipinos still think the same way. In fact, the only time my warped ideas of Filipinos working in Japan changed, was when my wife came here to study under a scholarship.

I neither can sing nor dance, and have no patience to acquire the skills of a programmer. So when I started scanning job opportunities for possible employment, I realized that the most in-demand work for foreigners here is to teach English. It is so hugely popular that almost everywhere, in both websites and English magazines, various positions for English language teachers are posted.

I never thought that Japanese were very eager to learn the language, as shown by the high demand for English teachers. This came as a surprise to me. In my country, there had been debates on whether to use English as the official language at schools and public offices. Some argued that being the largest non-native English-speaking country in Asia, or probably in the world, is good for the economy. But others would point to Japan, and say, “why? Japan can’t speak English, but it has a lot better economy.”

But what amazed me more about this (over)zealousness of the Japanese to learn English was when I read further on the required qualifications for English teachers. Japanese have high preferences to native English speakers. I don’t discount the merits of having native English speakers for tutors, but they practically speak the language even without thinking. Native English speakers were born to it. They breathe it, grew up with it, and process information in their minds, in English.

My wife said that Japanese are not really bad in their English. She even presumed that they must have a good command of the grammar because education system is very strict and the language is taught in the school for years. They are just very shy to speak it and afraid of embarrassment if they get it wrong. So, they never get the chance to practice speaking to get comfortable with the language.

Well, knowing that makes me think that probably, Japanese can consider non-native English speakers like the Filipinos to get the confidence in speaking the language. We can speak the language with ease, but we process information in mind in our native language. And as a matter of fact, if there is a rising popularity of anything Korean here, from celebrities to fashion, back home, Filipinos are tutors to many Koreans swarming the country to learn English language. (But that’s entirely one different story).

I still have to wait for Japanese looking for Filipinos to teach them English, not just to entertain or do programs for them. Till then, only native English speakers can respond to the eigomania here in Japan.